Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Update

Well, I've made it through three days of classes. The system is a little different than at home.  Classes at home are usually offered two or three times a week so you have the same class many times throughout a semester, but you take fewer.  Here, I'm taking eight classes, but I have each only once a week (or twice, if they have a tutorial).  The work is going to be a little different too as I will likely have little work in terms of quizzes or short projects, but have fewer, more intense projects.  So far, the classes have been fine and I haven't gotten too lost while finding them.  There's still a lot that's being straightened out. I finally got my login information for the computer and wifi today (I had a temporary log in for the wifi that lasted five days...which I was brutally reminded of last night when the internet kicked me off in the middle of conversations) and we got a tour around the library, which I must say, is pretty cool. It makes me want to check out a book.  
I thought that I had slept enough to make up for the time difference and to not be exhausted, but the last couple days have proven me wrong. I haven't been able to sleep until two in the morning for the most part, and mornings are so difficult (I'm not a morning person anyway).  The lovely thing is that none of the classes here start until 9, and it doesn't take very long to walk to class.  Anyway, sleep is key in my life. 
You'll be happy to know that the people who live in my building are very nice. It seems difficult to meet people if you're always just at your classes. There's very little time to socialize outside of where you live, especially as most halls are self-catered and don't leave your buildings to eat your meals, though the kitchens are a hot spot for people to gather.  I met a bunch of other international students.  Most all of the people on my floor are from Asia, but the people downstairs--though their English is still a little rusty--are very friendly and represent pieces of Europe, with folks from Italy, Spain, Finland...and other places.  I had a good night getting to know them a little =)

No comments:

Post a Comment