Monday, January 14, 2013

First Day

Today is the first day of class. I haven't had any classes so far today, but I have two this afternoon. I did meet with my contact again this morning and he introduced me to some of the staff that I will be seeing or who will be my professors.  I'm currently eating lunch in the quiet of the kitchen in our hall.  Though I haven't really taken any pictures yet since I've been here (there weather has been a little gray), I will be sure to and to post them when I can.  There are a few things I want to comment on. I know I posted about the driving and coins, both of which I'm enjoying, I'm also enjoying some of the phrases I hear. My head is filled with british accents (loving it). 
1) One thing you hear EVERYWHERE is 'Cheers'.  You hear it when someone says Hello, when they're saying Goodbye, as a thank you. All The Time.
2) Another thing, which seems a little more frightening, is the 'Doctor's Surgery'.  Just a fancy title for the clinic I think, but it's a little scary to hear the word surgery in conjunction with an office on campus.
3) Lastly, this morning when I met with my contact, he asked me "Did you enjoy your lie in?" which is essentially a way of asking if I slept well.  All the same, it's an interesting phrase.

I must say, I'm really enjoying not living a half hours walk from everything.  To walk to class, it takes about five minutes (depending on where it is, there's one building that's literally across the road from my hall). Class in an hour. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment: