Monday, February 11, 2013

'The Talk'

Alright kids, I feel like there is something that needs to be said, so listen up.
Before I continue blogging my English memories, I would like to clarify something because to be honest I feel a little weird about it.  So let's talk about alcohol.  Disclaimer: I don't tend to drink. Not that haven't, just that I generally don't.  Gasp* A college student who doesn't drink in public at an illegal age? Imagine! I'm not saying I haven't had a nightcap, or some sips of wine around my family, but I don't drink irresponsibly, nor really around big groups of people.
Now, I know the types of people reading this post--grandparents, relatives, friends, home church members--it makes me feel a little weird to approach the subject.  But let's talk about it.  If I'm going to be honest with anyone, why not you?  Now, raise your hand if you ever drank underage or drank too much? (Now put your hand down, yuh look like a crazy person with your hand in the air and no one around).  I bet a lot of people would respond to that question.  Alcohol is a present and real thing in life, but yet it's one of those things that certain people in my life tend to not talk about, and it actually just makes the topic more uncomfortable.  It's one of those taboo topics that I feel really strange about but think we need to have a discussion about, especially as alcohol was mentioned in my most recent post.
The topic of alcohol feels so much more relaxed here in England than it does at home, especially since the drinking age is eighteen.  Here, it really is part of the experience as peers and faculty/adults alike invite you to have a drink with them.  Yes, drinking as part of the social scene here can still be excessive, but it is also normal and perfectly acceptable and respectable to have a glass of wine with dinner, or to have a drink or two while out with some friends.
 Having spoke to some of my Christian friends about alcohol before, it always seems like this off-limit, terrible thing.  I get responses like 'You know I don't do that', as if it's unmentionable. If they ever hear that I drank, it's 'Christina! I thought you don't do that!'   It's very difficult, but also very possible, to resist the temptation of drinking during a part of life like college when it seems to dominate everything, but I also can't help but think that alcohol isn't evil.  Excessive consumption is, alcoholism is--I mean, where's the glory in relying on alcohol for happiness or pleasure? But then I ask, what's wrong with a drink or two when consumed appropriately?
Maybe it's just me who feels weird about it, or maybe this talk wasn't necessary. Either way, 1) yes, I just said all that 2) no, I don't feel weird about drinking here as it is legal and I am responsible and 3) don't be afraid to broach the subject--it's a part of our world and, trust me, the topic feels worse when ignored.
This message has been brought to you by Christina--a concerned relative, friend, and college student.

2 comments:

  1. Well said Christina...you seem to have a healthy viewpoint on the subject...we are proud of you! We have been enjoying your posts VERY MUCH...continue to have fun! We LOVE YOU! Uncle Denny and Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you guys! I was super scared to post this because I didn't want it to be received different than how I intended it to be. I'm glad you're enjoying my posts! Love and miss you both!

      Delete