Monday, February 25, 2013

Finally, another post

First, let me start by apologizing for not having blogged in two weeks! That's crazy talk, yet it's true.  I thought I was getting fairly good at keeping you guys updated, but then I had an independent study week and my life took an independent week of its own, apparently.  Or two weeks.  I looked back at what my last couple blogs have covered and so much time has gone by.  I'll fill you in on the highlights:
-My older sister's birthday was last Tuesday.  Happy Belated Birthday Tiff! (She doesn't really read my blog, but I need to cover my bases.  I actually did start writing a blog on her birthday but then never finished it...Expect another birthday announcement soon..February is mighty popular with relative's birthdays.)  
-I've been able to skype home a bunch this last week which has been really nice.  I guess this 'week off' of class has left me missing home a little. I skyped Dad a couple times now.  It doesn't usually work that I get to talk to him on my normal weekend skype home because of the hours he works, so we scheduled a time before he left for work and while it was evening time here which worked really well.  We've talked a bunch about trucks (I say the 1500 SLT with the chrome.  I checked out the cherry red and I do like it--Abby, tell Dad).  And I had personal skype time with Tiff, and Mom, a little with Britt, and a LOT with Abby. Abs and I needed to catch up and watch some Ellen together.
-I experienced Pancake Day--a phenomenon that I didn't really know existed until a couple weeks ago, at which point I realized I did in fact know what it was.  Pancake Day is Shrove Tuesday--the Tuesday before lent.  Here in England, they're more likely to call it Pancake Day and they actually do eat pancakes. This I found out when I was handed a pancake when I walked into CU.  Following CU, I had a post on my Facebook wall from a friend back home saying that she wished I could be at her Pancake Party.  All of a sudden this holiday was real and all over in my life. Apparently at home we call it Fat Tuesday--something I had heard but had never really connected. 
-Pancakes make me think of all the things that are yummy with pancakes...like bacon.  Thinking of bacon makes me think of pigs. Thinking of pigs makes me think of the pig unit here on campus that I went to in class two weeks ago.  See the chain here?  We went to the Pig Unit, part of the farm here at Harper, to talk about nutrition of the sows during pregnancy and after farrowing.  I wore clothes that were okay to get a little stinky and/or dirty but I wasn't prepared for the stench that lingered long after our departure from the unit. Our class was first taken into a small room, almost the size of a milkhouse, which housed a ton of boots and coveralls.  The game was to find two boots that matched and fit and to change into the boots and coveralls before entering the unit.  How.Exciting.  I was lucky to find two boots that were the same and I guessed that they might fit--thankfully they did.  We proceeded in to the building where the sows that had recently farrowed were housed along with all their little adorable piglets.  It was hard to keep focused with such cute little animals around.  It made me feel like I hadn't seen animals in so long, and I really haven't in a while.  It made me miss kidding season with the goats, and also my beloved Emmy-pup. (I skype Emmy too, she sits there and whimpers when I talk to her. Mention her name and she perks right up.) Back to the Pig Unit, after we were done and we changed out of our coveralls and boots, the stench remained.  Thank goodness my laundry was the next day and I didn't have any classes right after that one. 
That's the update I have for now.  I'll be sure to post again soon!(P.S. I thought I had posted this Sunday, but it turns out it didn't actually post?..Sadness. Take Two.)

No comments:

Post a Comment