Monday, February 11, 2013

International Dinner

The other night I attended an International Student Dinner in the upstairs of the dining hall on campus.  First, I would like to mention that the description of appropriate attire for the occasion was 'smart dress' which I'm assuming is almost code for formal/business casual--almost an in between.  I was pretty proud of myself for having packed that black dress, tights, and dressy shoes--worked out pretty well for this evening.
I arrived upstairs in QMH (Queen Mother Hall? The building where it was held..) and there were several students already there.  The coordinator of the event prompted me to grab a drink from the bar while guests were assembling and waiting in this small area.  I was able to mingle with some of the faculty members and other international students that I knew while waiting to go in the dining room.
Table Picture
I was somehow seated at table #1. This is the table at which the Vice Chancellor of the college and the international-director-guy also sat.  No pressure or anything.  It was actually a good time, but I would like to note that at no point in my life until now did I think that I would ever be sitting at a table with these faculty members of this college--nor did I think that they would be pouring me wine or toasting to good health with me. 
Yorkshire Pudding
The dinner was absolutely delicious and the company was great! It was all fancy and we each had what seemed like 49,572,948 pieces of silverware and (I think) four different glasses.  Since it was an international dinner, we had different types of food for each of the three courses.   The appetizer (or more correct term? hors d'oeuvre) was Dim Sum, which was very good.  Following that, we had a traditional English Roast meal which consisted of roast from Harper's own beef, with Yorkshire pudding (which I was told was basically a 'pancake gone wrong' and it was very good!) It looks almost like a muffin, but the inside is sortof hollow-y and it's really good.  There were also vegetables and roasted potatoes.  For dessert, we had Vanilla Creme Brulee and Shortbread, which was followed by Coffee or Tea and after-dinner mints.  Overall, it was a very splendid evening and I'm glad that I decided to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment